Thursday, June 23, 2011

Clifford's Throttle Position Sensor - Fixed

The problems I had with no Jake brake coming down from the mountains of West Virginia were due to a failing throttle position sensor (TPS).  It is like a noisy volume control on older audio equipment but since it is a sealed unit, there is no way to clean the contacts.

A couple of years ago, I removed it, worked the control through its entire range a bunch of times and basically, extended its life hoping to find a cheaper solution than the $170 replacement parts. It has worked ok since then but when I have checked the diagnostic faults log, there have been a growing number of inactive TPS faults indicating that it was getting much worse.

The TPS parts I picked up at Central Carolina Trucks in Kernersville, NC Just off of I-85/ I-40 was just a freightliner TPS and a six inch 3 wire- to-5 wire converter harness.  It took all of 15 minutes to replace it and not the estimated 2 hours shown in the parts catalog.  Easy job and now, no more TPS codes in my fault log..... and my Jake brake should work reliably from now on.
ttfn
Budd

No comments: